Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Netflix's House of Cards

I am a terrible procrastinator. I haven't done much writing and instead have indulged in my TV addiction.
Ok. I'm exaggerating. I don't watch that much TV. I have deleted shows off the DVR that I just don't have time to watch. I'm thinking Glee will head that way. I watched half of the first episode of this year - can you say boring?
I don't have time for boring television, like I'm sure many of you don't either.
Anyway, my coworker was telling me how much she liked Netflix's House of Cards and since I have the service and don't use it for myself, I thought, what the heck. I'll try it. 



Holy cow what a great show!! There were a few episodes that I could have done away with, but man, the pace of the show is lightening quick. It's super clever and has great evil characters.
I was very surprised - and blow away - when Mr. Evil decided to send Zoe to the subway cleaners. Up to that point I was wondering why ABC's Scandal has lots of murders and yet House of Cards, a show that is so much better, did not. Was House of Cards too pure for murder? Were the writers too good to stoop so low? And then it happens and it didn't seem cheap. It wasn't expected and if anything, it seemed sophisticated in its simplicity.
If you do not like political thrillers, House of Cards isn't for you. It's like an insiders game to politics. It's all about maneuvers, out-maneuvering people, even the simplest snags are planned in an over-reaching storyline of getting Francis Underwood into the White House.


Since Underwood is a very ambitious man and doesn't seem like the type to wait for his turn at the presidency, I can see President Garrett Walker getting bumped off and then Underwood can brag about being in the presidency and not being elected to that either.
I have always loved Robin Wright since she was in Santa Barbara with her hair so long she could sit on it. She is perfect as Claire Underwood and frankly I am surprised. I've never seen her play this type of character before but she's doing a great job.


And then there was Kevin Spacey. This guy is fantastic. I became his biggest fan with Usual Suspects, still one of my favorite movies.  I think he always does best when he's the lead.
I'm only a few episodes in to season two but already I'm dragging it out so that I can savor the show before the next season is released.
 

No comments:

Search This Blog