Friday, April 26, 2013

Scandal is salacious

In catching up on television I've not been able to watch, so far I've nailed two seasons of Homeland, an assortment of movies like Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Transformers, Captain America, The Avengers
and two seasons of Scandal.
I like many of you have seen the promos for Scandal but never watched the show. One of my co-workers told me last year it was good but I didn't have time for it. Of course as the shows I love go off the air (Fringe), it creates openings (Vampire Diaries).
So, I watched the two seasons of Scandal over the past few days and I must say I'm torn. The first seven episodes were great. But this romance between the President and Olivia doesn't do it for me. It seems to be all about aggressive booty calls and not real emotion.
I'm probably one of the only people who was happy that the President found out about the voting scheme and was pissed off at everyone. Yeah. It was over between him and Olivia. I found the relationship stereotypical and old. The flashbacks to before the election were dull. I fast-forwarded through them.
WARNING SPOILER



I don't understand why the judge tried to assassinate the president. She thought he wasn't legitimate? Damn right. And it didn't bother her when the V.P. was trying to get her to resign. In fact she framed another man for the crime that she committed. It would have made more sense if the V.P. or someone who would have benefited from his death was the culprit. The attempted assassination was a great storyline and it was well done that it looked like it was the evil businessman and yet it wasn't. But picking the judge didn't make sense and was a weak ending. Ok, the president killed her (by pressing down on her abdomen?). I knew he was going to kill her but thought he'd smother her with a pillow.

It is interesting that the show runners have sustained a single story line for 29 episodes -- the affair between Olivia and the President. Considering I'm a fan of Gray's Anatomy, I am surprised by the clever twists and turns of the plots but the emotion and genuine friendship I feel on Gray's is not present on Scandal. It's like you have to trade emotion for smarts.
I'm also surprised by the series of speeches that they make on the show. It reminds me a lot of Coach's diatribes on Glee without the snarky-ness.

Anyway, I recently added the show to my DVR list. Since it's on ABC I probably don't even  need to record it because they make 5 episodes available.

No comments:

Search This Blog