Friday, August 16, 2013

I had a near head-on collision with crazy driver

Had super scary day today.
I was getting on the bridge heading south and rounding a curve when this brown late model SUV was swerving wildly between its lane - northbound -  and mine  - southbound - when it jerked into my lane and stayed there.
I couldn't see the people driving but the car was rocking from side to side as if there was a struggle over the steering wheel.
I want to say it was all going in slow motion. There was this car, out of control, headed straight for me. Head lights to head lights. I screamed and screamed. I know the thoughts going through my head were, what can I do, we are going to crash. Unconsciously I swerved into the lane to my right, which miraculously was clear and the erratic car continued down the bridge driving in the wrong direction.
The biggest surprise is that the right lane was clear. For the past month the 18-wheeler transport trucks have been backed up on the bridge, bumper to bumper, to the toll booth. They are tightly fit together and I can't believe the lane was clear. I didn't even get a chance to look, I just swerved instinctively to get out of the crazy car's way.
That was an occasion where if I had been injured or died it would have entirely been that other driver's fault. I am so glad I was alone in the car and my daughter wasn't with me.
I keep having flashbacks to the event and still can't believe the right lane was clear otherwise I would have crashed into the side of a transport truck.
I don't know what was wrong with that car, whether it was out of control or the person driving it was crazy. I just can't believe nothing happened. That is the closest I have ever come to having a major accident.
When I stopped at the Nexus booth I reported the car. Unfortunately I couldn't see the license plate. I didn't even see who was driving.
When I got to the office I called the U.S. Border Patrol and was surprised to hear there was no accident on the bridge. I don't know what happened to that person but I am glad no one was hurt, including myself.

No comments:

Search This Blog